Banjo builder Bob Rock

Banjo builder Bob Rock
Picture from BU magazine, August 1993

From Steve Millard...and thanks!

My wife and I knew Bob Rock back in 1975 when we ran a general store in Chenysville, just east of Clearville, south of Everett, PA. I bought his VERY FIRST handmade banjo for $40 from 2 beautiful elderly twin sisters, whom I also learned how to play clawhammer. They played this banjo, and sang old mountain songs in lovely harmony. I have no idea why they sold it to me, except to encourge me to play. To this day I kick myself for not being mature enough to have recorded their music (I was just a kid).
I still own his banjo, that has 'star' and 'moon' pearl inlays that he carved out of large pearl buttons from his mothers coat of the '20s era. It's an open back banjo that plays fantastic to this day...strong and vibrant! We were invited to a 'Banjo Orchestra Convention' in Willamsport, PA (I think...it was along time ago) by Bob and his wife and were very welcomed as some of the youngest folks to show an interest. Imagine, 25 banjos of various sizes on one stage playing band and minstrel tunes all at once! At that time, however, I was mostly interested in 'Old Time' music. I was inspired to learn how to build banjos from Bob (who also had a blacksmith barn where he made his rims and head ring from scratch!)... but Eliza and I moved on soon after we were relieved of the store chore. I have several pics of Bob holding his 'Gibson' copy at his house from 1974. Thought ya'll'd like to know.
Steve MillardMILLARD DESIGN - Yancey County







3 comments:

TPH said...

I was very fortunate to know Mr. Rock and observe different stages of his hand made banjos! I actually supplied some of the steel that was used in the production of the banjos.
Mr. Rock, or Buck as his friends called him, was a genuine nice fellow! He was a plain country guy that put pride and love into each instrument he made. I was very sorry when I heard that he had passed away back then!

Ken mort said...

It was a pleasure to meet with him.
He showed me his processes.
He was a craftman for sure.
I did build one myself from maple wood.
It was in 1980's I meet him and did purchase a cherry wood 5 string from him.

Don Cordell / Rock Banjo Owner said...

I also met Mr.Rock, sometime in the spring of 1991. He was a Very Delightful man to be around. He was a Very Encouraging person. He showed me through his shop and it was Amazing. He had all the woodworking equipment he needed, even to boring a hole. for a steel rod to be installed through the neck to strengthen it, and keep it in tune better. I was asking questions and he Always had a Great and Encouraging answer.. "Ah, You can do this,.. It isn't hard. I ordered a 5 string Chief Banjo, made of Sassafras and went back in early September to pick it up. It was made on Aug. 30 1991, according to the date stamped inside the Back. It was #638 of his Productions. I remember, I believe that he said he was 81 years old then. It has the Indian Chief Painted on the back and it is an attention getter.. I remember he said that the sassafras was hard to get, but he had enough to make about 2 more. I wish I would have went back to check up on him,and see how he was doing. I am very glad to have one of the Finest Banjos Made ! If I can figure how to take a picture and send it to the site, I will. Donald Cordell, Mercersburg, Pa 17236